Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Jurors resume deliberations in Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial for third day -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Jurors resume deliberations in Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial for third day
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 04:12:31
Washington — Jurors in New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial will meet for a third day Tuesday to deliberate the fate of the New Jersey Democrat,Rekubit Exchange who is accused of accepting bribes from three New Jersey businessmen in exchange for using his political influence to their benefit.
The jury began deliberations Friday afternoon and carried on through Monday without reaching a verdict.
Leaving court Monday, Menendez, who has pleaded not guilty, said that "it is obvious the government's case is not as simple as they made it [out] to be."
His comments followed the jury of six women and six men asking the judge for two clarifications — "Does a not guilty verdict on a single count require unanimity?" and "Does intervening in the federal prosecution of Daibes in New Jersey fall under counts 11 and 12 in the indictment?"
The judge responded to the first question, saying "Your vote — whether guilty or not guilty — must be unanimous as to each count and each defendant."
The note sheds little light on the potential verdict, but it indicates that jurors are divided on at least one of the 18 counts in the indictment. Menendez is charged with 16 counts, including obstruction of justice, acting as a foreign agent, bribery, extortion and honest services wire fraud.
The two counts referenced by the jury charge Menendez and real estate developer Fred Daibes with bribery. They allege Daibes gave Menendez and his wife gold bars and thousands in cash. In return, Menendez allegedly tried to use his influence to nominate a federal prosecutor who he thought could make a bank fraud case against Daibes disappear. They also involve Menendez making public statements in support of Qatar and introducing Daibes to a member of the Qatari royal family who invested in his real estate project.
"Intervening in the federal prosecution of Daibes falls within counts 11 and 12, only if the jury concludes that the government has proven each of the elements of counts 11 and 12 beyond a reasonable doubt," Judge Sidney Stein wrote back to jurors.
Daibes and Wael Hana, who owns a halal certification company, are on trial with Menendez and have pleaded not guilty.
Nadine Menendez, the senator's wife, was also charged in the alleged scheme, but Stein on Monday postponed her trial indefinitely as she recovers from breast cancer surgery.
- In:
- Bob Menendez
- New Jersey
- Corruption
- Bribery
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter at CBSNews.com, based in Washington, D.C. She previously worked for the Washington Examiner and The Hill, and was a member of the 2022 Paul Miller Washington Reporting Fellowship with the National Press Foundation.
TwitterveryGood! (99)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Britney Spears Says She Was Pregnant With Justin Timberlake's Baby Before They Decided to Get Abortion
- Doctors abandon excited delirium diagnosis used to justify police custody deaths. It might live on, anyway.
- Inflation in UK unchanged at 6.7% in September, still way more than Bank of England’s target of 2%
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- A shirtless massage in a business meeting? AirAsia exec did it. Then posted it on LinkedIn
- Inflation in UK unchanged at 6.7% in September, still way more than Bank of England’s target of 2%
- Can it hurt my career to turn down a promotion? Ask HR
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Former Virginia House Speaker Filler-Corn will forego run for governor and seek congressional seat
Ranking
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Autoworkers used to have lifelong health care and pension income. They want it back
- How the Secret Service plans to keep President Biden safe in Israel: ANALYSIS
- More US ships head toward Israel and 2,000 troops are on heightened alert. A look at US assistance
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- A’s pitcher Trevor May rips Oakland owner John Fisher in retirement video: ‘Sell the team, dude’
- Calling it quits: Why some Lahaina businesses won't reopen after the wildfires
- Juventus midfielder Nicolò Fagioli gets seven-month ban from soccer for betting violations
Recommendation
The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
China’s economic growth slows to 4.9% in third quarter, amid muted demand and deflationary pressures
Prison guard warned that Danilo Cavalcante planned escape a month before he fled, emails show
Inflation in UK unchanged at 6.7% in September, still way more than Bank of England’s target of 2%
Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
Jurors in New Mexico deliver split verdicts in kidnapping and terrorism case
Court documents detail moments before 6-year-old Muslim boy was fatally stabbed: 'Let’s pray for peace'
RHOC's Shannon Beador Speaks Out One Month After Arrest for DUI, Hit-and-Run